Equine insurance: Event rider Daisy Berkeley's horse dies
Olympic event rider Daisy Berkeley is mourning the death of her horse, Spring Along, after the mount died at this weekend's Gatcombe Horse Trials.
The 18-year-old animal fell while attempting a fence on the course and died instantly, having suffered a suspected heart attack.
Ms Berkeley was thrown from the horse in the incident but was not seriously injured.
Spring Along came under Ms Berkley's care as a five year old and was ridden to victory at the 2007 European Championships.
The gelding also secured a bronze at the 2008 Hong Kong Olympics and was expected to head to London 2012 as Ms Berkley's mount, if the eventer was successful in qualification.
It was the horse's first run of the current season, with Ms Berkley competing at Gatcombe as a pre-run to April's Mitsubishi Badminton Horse Trials.
Ms Berkley has been competing at senior-squad level since 1997, when she debuted on a mount named Little Victor.
March 28th 2011
- Horse insurance: Strangles identified in Guernsey
- Equine insurance: Event rider's horses escape injury
- Brigstock Horse Trials secures new sponsorship deals
- Equine insurance: Army horse retires after 19 years
- Equine insurance: Horse mess causes anger
- Martin Clunes named new British Horse Society president
- Pony insurance: Animals moved from Bodmin Moor
- Horse insurance: Rider injured at Newmarket
- Equine insurance policyholders given tips on limited facilities
- Horse insurance: New Somerset equestrian centre planned
- Pony insurance: Emaciated animal found dead
- Judge to rule on housing development in Newmarket
- TV presenters Ant and Dec invest in racehorse
- Horse insurance: Vet struck off after injecting banned substance
- Equine insurance: Princess Anne opens British Horse Society centre
- Horse insurance: Animal 'left to rot' by owners
- Gateshead mayoress in collision with runaway horse
- Horse racing museum approved for Newmarket
- Brownies group raises money for equine charity
- Equine insurance: Horse charity appeals for sponsored runners
- Horse insurance: Residents 'resent' animals on estate
- Horse insurance: Animal's tail cut off
- Equine insurance: Inquest hears of crush death
- Horse insurance: Pupils start equestrian club
- Caution urged between drivers and horse insurance policyholders
- Equine insurance: Woman airlifted following accident
- Newbury fixture goes ahead without problems
- Newbury animals 'electrocuted', horse insurance customers told
- Hay prices 'to blame for abandonments', equine charity says
- Northumberland Police Mounted Section get new equine recruit
- Horse insurance: Elderly animal aided by fire crews
- Horse insurance: Equipment stolen from shed
- Horse insurance: Animal rescued from mud
- Trainer: Newbury course may have had problems 'for months'
- Equine insurance: Woman sees neglect court case costs reduced
- Horse insurance: Welsh woman assists starving Egyptian animals
- Equine insurance: Newbury meet cancelled after horse deaths
- Woman receives conditional discharge over horse bodies
- Horse insurance: Cremation fraudster fined
- Equine insurance: Long-serving police horse retires
- Equine insurance: Ex-racing mare adopts orphaned shire foal
- Horse leaves field to coax foal off the road
- Horse trailer insurance: Trapped animal cut from box
- Equine insurance: Killed horse rider named
- Equine insurance: Horse becomes regular at his local pub
- Horse insurance: Rider dies in collision with car
- Horse insurance policyholders in Llanelli urged to be vigilant
- Equine insurance: Stray animals 'could be seized'
- Beloved animal to join horse rider's funeral cortege
- Horse insurance: Riding groups oppose forestry plans
- Pony insurance: Girl taken to hospital after fall
- Horse rider overcomes broken spine to become para dressage star
- Equine insurance: Long-distance transport rules may change
- Residents 'taken prisoner' by stray horses call for action
- Equine insurance: RSPB uses working horse to power visitor centre
- Horse insurance policyholders told of mobile animal surveillance
- Horse insurance: Rider dies after fall from horse
- Horse insurance: Neglected animals rescued
- Equine insurance: Horse show competitor convicted of cruelty
- Horse insurance: Animals to be given high-visibility collars
- Horse insurance: Police appeal for information after animal dies
- 'Consult equine lawyer over loans', horse insurance customers told