Equine insurance need highlighted by fatal crash
The importance of equine insurance has been highlighted by the death of a horse in a vehicle collision this afternoon (June 2nd).
ThisIsTheWestCountry.co.uk reported that the incident occurred at around 11:40 BST in Dunwear Lane, Bridgwater.
A Citroen Van collided with a five-year-old animal and its rider Barry Francis, causing fatal damage to the Arab cross cob.
Mr Francis commented: "The car drove into the back of her and we were flung into the air - she came down on top of me. I am very lucky. If she had landed on my head, it would have been a different story."
He added that it would be "a long time" before he is able to climb back onto a horse, despite being a rider with 43 years experience.
The cob, whose name was Cindy, was owned by Christina Barnett, who expressed anger at her death, which she said caused the animal "agony".
Last month, an animal was killed in a collision on the Isle of Wight.
June 02nd 2011
- Frankie Dettori 'favourite' going into the Oaks
- 'Dalmatian' horse spotted in Devon
- Couple could face jail after admitting animal neglect
- Warning to horse insurance holders after attempted horse theft
- Equine insurance: Girl dies after horse falls on her at rodeo
- Microchipping could be mandatory for horse insurance policyholders
- Pony set on fire in County Armagh
- Train-boarding pony offered home by Flicka Foundation
- Former Common-Riding Committee chair in hospital after fall
- Injured motorists taken to hospital after crash involving horse box
- New Forest ponies killed in hit-and-run accidents
- Zara Philips looks to find horse ahead of Olympic Games
- Rider awarded £60k following fall
- Horses seeking new home after being abandoned
- Suez Environment brings back horse-drawn rubbish carts
- Betting fan given horse-drawn funeral
- Appleby Horse Fair approaches and drivers urged to be cautious
- Spooked horses send hearse into parked cars
- Horse insurance: Carriage driver turned away from drive-through
- Equine insurance: Charity event to feature horse attractions
- Equine insurance: U-turn over A9 horse crossing
- Pink rages after Selena Gomez paints horse for music video
- Horse insurance customers given advice on selecting mounts
- Equine insurance: Rider still unconscious after fall
- Largest UK police horse to get 6-month rest
- Bruised foot leads racehorse into retirement
- Welsh pony owner vows to continue to take animal in public
- Horse insurance: Teenager banned from keeping animals
- Man wins £350,000 from £1 horse racing bet
- Man takes pony to A&E, pub after turned away from train
- Horse insurance need highlighted by crash animal fatality
- Showjumper vows to overcome injuries to ride again
- Parade death soldier commended after fatal accident
- Equine insurance: Stolen horse box rams police
- Horse owners warned about damage liability
- Horse insurance customers warned of 'plaiting' theft risk
- Horse insurance: Men bailed over animal death
- Horse box involved in three-car pile-up
- Pony insurance: Breeder criticises RSPCA prosecution
- Horse insurance: Equine experts push for welfare body role
- Horse insurance: Queen photo prompts helmets reminder
- Ban given to man who caused 18-year-old mare 'unnecessary suffering'
- Equine insurance: Woman treated following attack by horse
- Horse insurance: Woodlands access groups continue campaign
- Horse insurance need highlighted after Rochford attacks
- First UK horse-drawn hearse driving championship to take place
- Horse insurance: Fallers recovering after Badminton Horse Trials
- Equine insurance: Tributes paid to trampled teen rider
- Borders rider 'ecstatic' about Caroline Powell as mentor
- Owner demands investigation into riding school animal death
- Horse insurance: Kauto Star facing retirement?
- Equine insurance: Riding clubs issue driving plea
- Race horse jumps into crowd at Australian event
- Brecon Beacons offers 'breathtaking' horse riding
- Horse put down following Guernsey race meeting
- Horse insurance: Foal rescued after being abandoned
- Equine insurance: Targeted treatment best to address worms
- Seized Dudley animals 'will be re-homed', equine insurance customers told
- Equine insurance: Michael Barrymore injured in riding fall
- Horse insurance: Teenager rider crushed by own animal