Horse insurance: Police appeal for information after animal dies
Police have appealed to horse insurance policyholders that may have information relating to an accident, in which an animal died on Friday night.
The Burton Mail reported that a female motorist was taken to Queen's Hospital in Burton with minor injuries following the incident, which took place on the A38 southbound carriageway at the Claymills junction, at around 20:30 GMT.
Firefighters took almost an hour to cut the woman free from her vehicle after it hit the stray mount.
Sergeant Chris Beckett from Burton Police said: "Luckily the motorist was okay, but the horse died at the scene. We are making our best efforts to try to trace the owner of the horse. If anyone knows who the animal belongs to we ask them to come forward."
Yesterday, Horse and Hound revealed that equine charities have noted an increase in the number of animals that are being abandoned, as owners struggle to manage rising costs.
February 01st 2011
- Police horse collapses during crowd control at football match
- Equine insurance: Abandonments 'on the rise'
- Horse insurance policyholders 'to be affected by forestry sale'
- Horse insurance: Man avoids jail for animal sex act
- Equine insurance: Dog owner charged after police horse attack
- Horse insurance policyholders warned of marsh danger
- National campaign urged in wake of horse rider death
- Horse insurance: Drivers questioned after rider death
- Equine insurance: Airport introduces inspection post
- Horse trailer insurance: Police appeal for unused transport
- Horse insurance policyholders told of re-homing efforts
- Equine insurance: Farriery classes expanded at Suffolk Show
- Pony insurance: Society develops online store
- Staffordshire dressage star selected for Olympic training squad
- Horse insurance: Ethical Equine Extravaganza launches this summer
- Equine insurance: Haylage workshop to teach technique
- Police ask horse insurance policyholders to loan animals
- Horse show organiser fined for death at event
- Horse insurance: Tony McCoy faces Grand National dilemma
- Pony insurance: RDA animal Topsy retires
- Equine insurance: Horse charity calls for donations
- Horse insurance: New Somerset riding centre planned
- Equine insurance: Escaped horse killed in collision
- Horse insurance: Animal rescued from pool
- Stable hand given £10,000 after horse accident
- Equine insurance policyholders warned after dog attack
- Stray horses 'cause havoc' in Dudley streets
- Horse insurance policyholders warned over fraudulent 'borrowing'
- Horse insurance: Kauto Star suffering infection
- Horse insurance policyholders warned of animals in road
- Horse insurance policyholders warned about animal obesity rates
- Horse insurance: Breeders honoured at award ceremony
- Horse insurance: Increasing costs leading to more abandonments
- Horse insurance policyholders warned over rug thefts
- Wild horse increase 'may be related to traveller community'
- Horse insurance: Traffic disrupted by escaped animals
- Equine insurance: Identification collars to be introduced in South Wales
- Horse insurance holders told of increase in abandoned animals
- Equine insurance: Fundraising horse trek aims to collect £1m
- Horse Insurance: Rider air lifted to hospital in Essex
- Horse insurance: Animal dies, two people hurt in crash
- Horse insurance: Rider hospitalised after dog attack
- Equine insurance: Crash injures women and horses
- Horse insurance policyholders offered discounted micro-chipping
- Stray horses 'disappear without a trace'
- Horse insurance: 'Frozen' animal recovers
- Equine insurance: Owner appeals for information on horse attacks
- Equine insurance: Teenager admits stealing horse
- Horse insurance: Case of animal with strangles reported
- Equine insurance customers told of horse-crush victim's recovery
- Horse insurance: Rider dies in New Year's Day hunt
- Royal wedding: No horse drawn carriage for Kate Middleton
- Glee star: Horse-drawn carriages 'should be boycotted in New York'
- Sanctuary calls on horse insurance holders to re-home animals
- Horse insurance holders call for special crossing in Leigh
- Equine insurance: Stray horses close Welsh coastal road