Man wins £350,000 from £1 horse racing bet
Horse insurance policyholders that enjoy a flutter may be interested to hear about the good fortune of an occasional gambler in Scotland.
A man from Glasgow has pocketed more than £350,000 after placing a 50p each-way bet on a seven-horse accumulator with William Hill.
The single father, who has asked to remain anonymous, has not worked for five years following heart surgery and said he was astounded by his luck.
"I'm shocked. I regularly place these little bets and everyone tells me I'm mad," he explained.
"My brain was a wreck and I couldn't understand the balance on my account. I first thought it would pay about £21,000 and had to get my son to come and translate that the numbers meant I'd actually won £353,000."
A spokesman for William Hill congratulated the winner and branded him the company's "luckiest ever punter".
Earlier this year, Steve Whiteley from North Devon celebrated a huge £1.45 million win from a £2 bet at a free-entry race day.
May 20th 2011
- Rider wins race on horse destined for knacker's yard
- Equine insurance: Over 1,000 visitors see heavy horse show
- Harrison Ford set to become horse insurance policyholder?
- Horse insurance: New Defra welfare board 'will challenge govt'
- Equine insurance: 'B&B for horses' opens in County Durham
- British Eventing applauds Badminton performance
- Horse insurance: Defra reviews disease outbreak guidelines
- Katie Price narrowly survives collision with horses in Argentina
- Towcester Racecourse proposes whipping ban
- Horse insurance: Pregnant animal rescued from river
- Equine insurance: Horses 'vital' to north-east tourism
- Mark Todd takes Badminton Horse Trials title
- Circus horsewoman defends animals' treatment
- Horse insurance customers given equipment security tips
- Showjumper injured after dog chases horse
- Horse insurance: People 'don't consider owner responsibilities'
- Horse insurance: Sanctuary owners banned from keeping animals
- Horse insurance policyholders 'must be welfare aware'
- Equine insurance: Horse hit by crossbow
- BHA to investigate fixing claims
- Horse insurance: Fire crew helps trapped animal
- Teenage jockey Willie Twiston-Davies breaks leg in race
- Equine insurance: Two horses die in Scottish Grand National
- Horse insurance: Neglect conviction leads to ownership ban
- Horse found wandering in beauty salon
- Injured jockey 'out of coma' following Aintree fall
- RSPCA involved in Aintree Grand National review
- Horse insurance: Teenager dies in riding fall
- Equine insurance: Horse sanctuary saved from closure
- Equine insurance: Police step up illegal grazing challenges
- Horse insurance: Jockey in coma following Aintree fall
- Equine insurance: Horses survive stable fire
- Grand National 'akin to bullfighting', horse insurance customers told
- Horse insurance: Ballabriggs takes Grand National title
- Equine insurance: Rare Konik horses introduced to nature reserve
- Horse insurance: Racecourse criticised for animal deaths
- Ball-rolling adventure sport leaves horses 'absolutely terrified'
- Equine insurance: Infectious disease, sports regulation 'big concern'
- Horse insurance: Animal's prior owners accused of theft
- Equine insurance: Horse rider dies weeks after fall
- Equine insurance: Horse collision driver claims £3.8m compensation
- Equine insurance: Essex horse sanctuary faces closure
- Equine insurance: Horse owner admits neglect charges
- Horse masseur establishes practice in Berwick
- Horse insurance: Prince Charles backs charity ride
- Equine insurance: Horse rider airlifted from Dorset beach
- Horse centre owners threatens protest over A9 upgrade plans
- Welsh National winner Synchronised 'withdrawn from Grand National'
- Horse insurance customers 'most concerned about costs'
- Equine insurance: Horse and cart leads fuel protest