Matthew Wright wins at Bolesworth Showjumping Classic
Equine insurance owners have been told Matthew Wright has won the opening Express Eventing qualifier at the Bolesworth Showjumping Classic.
Wright managed to take home the first prize of £3,000 at the Cheshire venue on If You Want II.
The win also means he qualifies for the series final at the Horse of the Year Show in October.
He told Horse & Hound: "This has been great for my horse because he's 15 years old and didn't really make the grade at three-day eventing.
"The great thing about Express Eventing is that it can prolong the career of a horse like mine."
Stephen Renouard, equestrian director of Express Eventing, added that he hopes the standard is as high during the rest of the series it was as the inaugural competition.
Recently, Burgham Park in Northumberland announced that it has secured a major equestrian tournament for next spring, as it will host a qualifier for the prestigious Badminton Horse Trials.
June 13th 2011
- Frankie Dettori 'favourite' going into the Oaks
- 'Dalmatian' horse spotted in Devon
- Couple could face jail after admitting animal neglect
- Warning to horse insurance holders after attempted horse theft
- Equine insurance: Girl dies after horse falls on her at rodeo
- Microchipping could be mandatory for horse insurance policyholders
- Pony set on fire in County Armagh
- Train-boarding pony offered home by Flicka Foundation
- Former Common-Riding Committee chair in hospital after fall
- Injured motorists taken to hospital after crash involving horse box
- New Forest ponies killed in hit-and-run accidents
- Zara Philips looks to find horse ahead of Olympic Games
- Rider awarded £60k following fall
- Horses seeking new home after being abandoned
- Suez Environment brings back horse-drawn rubbish carts
- Betting fan given horse-drawn funeral
- Appleby Horse Fair approaches and drivers urged to be cautious
- Spooked horses send hearse into parked cars
- Horse insurance: Carriage driver turned away from drive-through
- Equine insurance: Charity event to feature horse attractions
- Equine insurance: U-turn over A9 horse crossing
- Pink rages after Selena Gomez paints horse for music video
- Horse insurance customers given advice on selecting mounts
- Equine insurance: Rider still unconscious after fall
- Largest UK police horse to get 6-month rest
- Bruised foot leads racehorse into retirement
- Welsh pony owner vows to continue to take animal in public
- Horse insurance: Teenager banned from keeping animals
- Man wins £350,000 from £1 horse racing bet
- Man takes pony to A&E, pub after turned away from train
- Horse insurance need highlighted by crash animal fatality
- Showjumper vows to overcome injuries to ride again
- Parade death soldier commended after fatal accident
- Equine insurance: Stolen horse box rams police
- Horse owners warned about damage liability
- Horse insurance customers warned of 'plaiting' theft risk
- Horse insurance: Men bailed over animal death
- Horse box involved in three-car pile-up
- Pony insurance: Breeder criticises RSPCA prosecution
- Horse insurance: Equine experts push for welfare body role
- Horse insurance: Queen photo prompts helmets reminder
- Ban given to man who caused 18-year-old mare 'unnecessary suffering'
- Equine insurance: Woman treated following attack by horse
- Horse insurance: Woodlands access groups continue campaign
- Horse insurance need highlighted after Rochford attacks
- First UK horse-drawn hearse driving championship to take place
- Horse insurance: Fallers recovering after Badminton Horse Trials
- Equine insurance: Tributes paid to trampled teen rider
- Borders rider 'ecstatic' about Caroline Powell as mentor
- Owner demands investigation into riding school animal death
- Horse insurance: Kauto Star facing retirement?
- Equine insurance: Riding clubs issue driving plea
- Race horse jumps into crowd at Australian event
- Brecon Beacons offers 'breathtaking' horse riding
- Horse put down following Guernsey race meeting
- Horse insurance: Foal rescued after being abandoned
- Equine insurance: Targeted treatment best to address worms
- Seized Dudley animals 'will be re-homed', equine insurance customers told
- Equine insurance: Michael Barrymore injured in riding fall
- Horse insurance: Teenager rider crushed by own animal