Teenage jockey Willie Twiston-Davies breaks leg in race
Amateur jockey Willie Twiston-Davies has sustained a broken leg in a race at Stratford, highlighting the need for horse insurance.
The teenager was riding Battlecry in the totesport.com Hunters' Chase, when the mount slipped and injured the 16 year old.
Willie was taken to Warwick Hospital for surgery and is now recovering.
Brother and fellow jockey Sam Twiston-Davies said: "It's bad news as he's broken his femur in his right leg.
"He's obviously going to be out of action for quite a while, but he's not in too bad spirits, considering."
Earlier this month, Willie won the Foxhunters Chase at Aintree, making him the youngest jockey to achieve the feat over the National fences.
Willie and 18-year-old Sam are sons of Nigel Twiston-Davies, a trainer whose mounts have won the Grand National twice.
The accident comes in the wake of Peter Toole's accident at Aintree, which saw the 22-year-old rider suffer bleeding on the brain, which was treated by a medically-induced coma.
April 18th 2011
- Horse insurance: Firefighters, RSPCA officer commended for ice rescue
- Equine insurance: Bradford police given stray horse advice
- Horse insurance: Stray animals 'trap people in homes'
- Horse insurance: Fylde equine centre gains Clubmark accreditation
- Horse insurance: Runaway animal stops Isle of Wight trains
- Research suggests equine mating practices contribute to foal deaths
- Pony insurance: Owner 'shocked' by animal theft
- Horse insurance: Fair violence warning issued by police
- No horse-drawn carriage for popstar Lily Allen's wedding
- Equine insurance: Teen rider to guide Olympian in race
- Equine insurance: Horse power used in conservation project
- Equine insurance: Newmarket horse clinic praised
- Horse insurance policyholders opt for 'equestrian airbag'
- Equine insurance: Stable boy wins record payout
- Equine insurance: World Horse Welfare helps Senegal working animals
- Equine insurance: Event rider Daisy Berkeley's horse dies
- Equine insurance: Trapped horse requires emergency assistance
- Equine insurance: Horses run free in Canton park
- Horse insurance: Martin Clunes rehomes RSPCA animals
- World's smallest horse to celebrate first birthday
- Emma Hindle looking for Olympic success on Brisbane
- Equine insurance: 'Horseboarding' takes off in UK
- Horse insurance policyholders told how to deal with strangles
- Equine insurance: Miniature horse gets prosthetic leg
- Equine insurance: Firefighters rescue horse from ditch
- Girl injured in fall after animal startled by bikers
- Equine insurance: Teenager seriously injured in fall
- Horse insurance: Radical therapy 'helps autistic children'
- Sir Alex Ferguson looking for Grand National success
- Horse insurance: Stray animal dies in collision
- Equine insurance: Specialist ambulance delivered to sanctuary
- Horse insurance care in Northern Ireland 'at a crisis point'
- Horse insurance: Animals hamper Leeds park upgrade
- Equine insurance policyholders offered equipment-marking session
- Pony insurance: Animals found dead in Newport
- Horse insurance: Animals 'may be euthanised' due to land sale
- Motorcyclist named following fatal horse trailer crash
- Equine insurance: Horse rescued from river
- Horse insurance policyholders told of 'manure blight'
- Horse insurance: Cheltenham Festival kicks off today
- Horse insurance: Animal and rider unharmed after road incident
- Equine insurance: How to spot strangles
- Horse-drawn carriage worth £30,000 stolen
- Horse insurance: Rider dies on cross-country course
- Man celebrates £1.45m win after £2 horse racing bet
- Guernsey strangles outbreak 'could affect summer events'
- Horse insurance: Man airlifted after fall
- Equine insurance: Volunteers sought for Badminton Horse Trials
- RSPCA try to track owner after pony found in Devon
- Horse insurance: Courses to offer free entry
- Equine insurance: Funeral held for horse-kick victim
- Cheltenham reassures horse insurance holders over electrical risks
- Group expresses fears over horse insurance customers' costs
- Pony insurance: 'Plummeting' prices result in dumping
- Horse insurance: Injured rider to receive compensation
- French trainer brings horses to London stage
- Horse insurance: Sanctuary owner appeals for land
- Horse insurance need highlighted by dog attack
- Equine insurance: Teenager dies after kick from pet horse
- Wild horses running free near Bridgend